We had the pleasure of hanging out with self-thought and ever-bubbly make-up artist; Ummi Nasir to give us the deep dive on how she got her start, the products she lives for – plus what inspires this beauty magician!
1.Tell us about yourself and your career? Hi, my name is Ummi Nasir I am 31 and a single mom to my beautiful 4 year old daughter, Maisarah. I spent 5 years in Japan pursuing a degree in Computer Engineering at Yamanashi University. When I came home I started working as a Sales Executive for a Steel Company. I must say, that the working experience I gained then has helped tremendously with my business now. I have always had a keen interest in makeup & beauty but i really began taking makeup classes after I went through some personal issues. I was looking for something to distract myself, and naturally, I found it in makeup!
I began with doing makeup for friends and family until i got my big break when a famous local brand scarf discovered me. From then, I’ve been carving my way up.
- 3. Do you remember when you first became interested in beauty? what sparked your interest? Staying in Japan for 5 years triggered my passion in beauty/makeup. I love how Japanese girls really take care of their appearance. I remember how my classmates wear full makeup in class! From there I started to apply basic makeup, you know like foundation, eyeliner and lipstick! Can you imagine, before I was absolutely clueless on how to put eyeshadow on myself and even my eyebrows were haywire at that time! haha
- 4. What do you do when you’re not working? Cafe Hopping! Its just something about the smell of fresh coffee brewing that I find so interesting! I have this theory, where if I don’t have to add on any sugar to my latte, that means the cafe really knows their stuff!
- 5. Who is your all time style icon and your make-up idols? I love minimal glowing makeup, so my all time makeup idols will have to be Aniamilczarcyk & Lisa Eldridge
- 6. What are your favourite beauty products/Must-Haves? Oh my! I have a long lists for that! but the most important ones are:
SUN SCREEN! I love Kiehls Ultra Light Daily UV Defence SPF 50, this is essential if you want to look younger than your age “wink” YOU’LL thank me later
Ka-brow Benefits for eyebrows & NARS Audacious Lipstick. When your eyebrow is on point & your lips are coloured, you are good to go!
- 7. On a life well-lived… What Motto do you live by? Just Go With it! Be Confident & Brave 8. When do you you feel most beautiful? After Workout! yeah those sweat! haha The feeling of knowing that you’ve accomplished something that day, that’s priceless.
Photography by: Syazwan Asyraf @syzwnasyrf