We had the pleasure of hanging out with self-thought and ever-bubbly make-up artist; Ummi Nasir
to give us the deep dive on how she got her start, the products she lives for - plus what inspires this beauty magician!
1.Tell us about yourself and your career? Hi, my name is Ummi Nasir I am 31 and a single mom to my beautiful 4 year old daughter, Maisarah. I spent 5 years in Japan pursuing a degree in Computer Engineering at Yamanashi University. When I came home I started working as a Sales Executive for a Steel Company. I must say, that the working experience I gained then has helped tremendously with my business now. I have always had a keen interest in makeup & beauty but i really began taking makeup classes after I went through some personal issues. I was looking for something to distract myself, and naturally, I found it in makeup!
I began with doing makeup for friends and family until i got my big break when a famous local brand scarf discovered me. From then, I’ve been carving my way up.
2. Tell us about a day in the life of Ummi Nasir? My day starts as early as 6.30am, after subuh prayer & one shot of espresso I head out to the gym for my morning workout. Come back home around 8:15am to get Maisarah ready for school and breakfast together (my favourite time of the day!). Usually on weekdays I have photoshoot with FashionValet that finishes around 5 pm. Most of the time I will reply all clients’ inquiries, send invoices, planning strategies /marketing to further expand my business. Sometimes I’ll be busy with makeup tutorial & products flat lays for my social media posts as well as learning new makeup techniques over the internet. I end my day with picking up Maisarah late in the evening and spend my quality time with her all night.
3. Do you remember when you first became interested in beauty? what sparked your interest? Staying in Japan for 5 years triggered my passion in beauty/makeup. I love how Japanese girls really take care of their appearance. I remember how my classmates wear full makeup in class! From there I started to apply basic makeup, you know like foundation, eyeliner and lipstick! Can you imagine, before I was absolutely clueless on how to put eyeshadow on myself and even my eyebrows were haywire at that time! haha
4. What do you do when you're not working? Cafe Hopping! Its just something about the smell of fresh coffee brewing that I find so interesting! I have this theory, where if I don’t have to add on any sugar to my latte, that means the cafe really knows their stuff!
5. Who is your all time style icon and your make-up idols? I love minimal glowing makeup, so my all time makeup idols will have to be Aniamilczarcyk & Lisa Eldridge
6. What are your favourite beauty products/Must-Haves? Oh my! I have a long lists for that! but the most important ones are:
- SUN SCREEN! I love Kiehls Ultra Light Daily UV Defence SPF 50, this is essential if you want to look younger than your age “wink” YOU'LL thank me later
- Ka-brow Benefits for eyebrows & NARS Audacious Lipstick. When your eyebrow is on point & your lips are coloured, you are good to go!
7. On a life well-lived... What Motto do you live by? Just Go With it! Be Confident & Brave
8. When do you you feel most beautiful? After Workout! yeah those sweat! haha The feeling of knowing that you've accomplished something that day, that's priceless.